Here are a few things to consider that will make your stay more enjoyable:
If you are not a Canadian, important reminder:
Pack your passport. You cannot be admitted to the country without a passport.
- As is typical in retreat housing, you will be sharing bedroom space with others and therefore less is more. We advise loose, comfortable clothing and layers for warmth. Barrie is typically warm this time of year ( 23-27 degrees Celsius) during the day, but it can get cooler (15-20 degrees Celsius) in the evenings. Buildings are heated and air conditioned.
- Bring indoor slippers or heavy socks since you’ll be asked to remove your shoes at the entrance to each meeting space --consider what shoes to wear to ease slipping them on and off.
- Linens, pillows and towels are provided for your bedroom as well as an iron and ironing board. Rooms also have their own phones and alarm clock radios.
- Shower soap, shower gel and shampoo are provided. Hair dryers are also provided.
- There is a no-smoking policy in all of the buildings including bedrooms. A smoking area is located just outside your building. Smoking is available outside all buildings.
- Cell phones work here from all major providers. The facility phone number is 705-722-8080 if you want to give a number to others. Kempenfelt has wireless high speed internet at no cost.
- Re-fillable water bottles will be provided to you by MaleSurvivor.
- Please pack a flashlight for evening hikes. There is a side country road nearby with a small subdivision. Traffic is minimal.
- There is a lake which will be open to us during our free time, so feel free to pack a bathing suit if you want to enjoy a swim. Water socks are suggested for swimming in the lake.
- This is optional: Please bring one plain white t-shirt –adult size or kid size (not a tank) you would be willing to donate to our male survivor clothesline project..the clothesline is displayed during future weekends and also at MaleSurvivor awareness events and conferences…during the weekend, we will give you time to decorate your t-shirt with a variety of art supplies…absolutely no prior art experience or design ability is needed for this…
- Any lost & found items will be mailed back to you on request, and Kempenfelt will ask to be fully reimbursed for the delivery .
- MaleSurvivor has a no alcohol or non-prescription drugs policy. Please be sure to bring any prescription drugs you need as drug stores are quite a ways off.
- Feel free to bring your camera for taking nature pictures. We request you reserve taking pictures of participants until the last day when we will arrange a group picture time.
- Feel free to bring any musical instruments/drums you want to bring, as we’ll have an optional drumming circle and campfire (weather permitting) on Saturday evening
- Feel free to bring any furry stuffed animals to keep your company. The facilitators will also bring a stash of friends in case there isn’t room in your suitcase.
- We’ll be providing each of you with a journal to use during the weekend and a pen. You can of course bring your own personal journal if you prefer and your own favorite pen.
- Kempenfelt is wheelchair accessible. We will have a short walk from our building to the dining room.
- You can get driving directions off the location page of the website at www.kempenfelt.com
- Payment Methods for any extra charges at the Kempenfelt desk (phone calls or souvenirs): We accept debit cards, VISA, American Express and MasterCard. There are no bank machines on property.
- Souvenirs: Guests can choose from a wide selection of Kempenfelt merchandise available for sale from the Front Desk.
- Other Items for Sale: The Front Desk stocks a variety of items – toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, combs, Tylenol, film, batteries, cigarettes, chocolate bars and chips – just to name a few.