Well just maybe there is some hope after all...

Bishop Paul Bootlowski of the Metuchen diocese here in New Jersey yesterday announced that his diocese had concluded settlements with 10 victims which had come forward in the past year or so. He met with all of them, apologized to them, and reached settlements totaling more than 800K to these 10 victims. He did not ask for silence...however...the one part I am not thrilled with is that the priests involved did not have to admit guilt. The article I read did not say if these clergy members would be returned to ministry...I hope not.

A prominant local lawyer who represents many clergy abuse victims here in New Jersey said that he is glad the Bishop worked hard to bring these cases to closure and applauded this Bishops deeds....now we just need the rest of the Bishops to take his lead! Although the priests involved did not have to admit guilt I know they were removed from ministry at the time they were accused and the parishes involved were told of the allegations against each priest. This is far more than many other diocese have done thus far....Archbishop Meyers (a canon lawyer)of Newark and Bishop Lenon of Boston have changed few things and have not done anything that would initiate or allow healing....THEY STILL DON"T GET IT!