Aggie.....
We are similar insorts. I too, work in a treatment facility, only I work with teenage boys, many of which have been abused. But, I also am a survivor. I followed my heart a few years ago and gave up a rather financially rewarding career to do what my heart told me i should do. I think men need a support group in as many area as women do, and in some ways more. We are viewed in a much different light that female rape victims, not to diminish their victimization by no means. I too, would like to start a male support group, but, I too, live in a small midwestern town and doubt that I could develop this without reprocusions from the community, nor do i think very many would come forward for fear of public humiliation. I may have to go into the city to start and hope the rural areas would follow or get word of it. I don't have a PHD or anything, just a big heart and the desire. I hope you've kept in contact with this young man, I think it may be important to him to know youare still out there pulling for him. What a great friend he has! Keep up the great work and keep me posted if you try to get a group started, I would really be interested what works and what doesn't etc. or anyone else who may read this, please point me in the right direction. I sure like to keep from happening others what happened to me when I disclosed my abuse to my wife.