Hello S!

Triggers ARE tiresome, boring, frustrating, & enraging. But as survivors ourselves, we are always at risk for entering into something I have been calling "Accordian Time:" Time becomes pleated - what has ever happened, whatever will happen, whatever IS happening all gets merged into one temporal fold. Every single thing we could experience on an emotional level all begins to happen NOW, all simultaneously as if it were all at the Same Time....

I wish there was some way to just wish it away. And if wishing didn't work, I'd hope for some kind of therapeutic process that could help us work our way toward freedom. None of these have worked for me - I still, for example, cringe at the sound of footsteps behind me & I guess I always will.

But let's not lose sight of the idea that our response to these triggers has evolved as a way to keep us safe from harm. Maybe our respect and wonderment for the blessings of our biology can help us find some calm in the midst of all of this.

HUGS!