Writing has been a way for me to transform my story and my experiences, to take the messy tangle and turn it into something beautiful...so I wrote a play about men who had been sexually abused, a combination of my own story interwoven with other men's, and it has been performed several times..always with last minute internal conflict and a feeling of a betrayal on my part..telling stories (indeed the story is mine, and in no way do I include personal details about family members).
All this being said, my ultimate intention is that the play (and in that my life) be about redemption and reconciliation. As I look forward, my soul reminds me I need to continue with this project (and several others), because at the end of my life, not having written them will be my regret..
I still wrestle with making them even more public..and of course, so far, that has been limited, though I had one piece read off-broadway. Some days though, I am reminded that this play may also serve to connect to others who, like me at many times, feel isolated.
Any thoughts/ Advice? How does one speak out about this topic without challenging others, but rather that builds a bridge? How can I speak my truth? Sometimes I feel this project is just pulling me under and holding me back..why not just let it go, and move on?
Alone, we are isolated, open to persecution, abuse, violence and our own pain. Together, we are a powerful force of men, who have, despite any reason to tell us otherwise, remained with some particle of hope, some seed of a compassionate world..together we are undeniably strong..and they know that.