Right...this is profoundly embarrassing to admit, but up until I was 18 or so, I thought...uh...that my parents never had sex and that I was born...um...asexually. The idea that my mother, or any woman for that matter, had sexual impulses was just universes beyond me. That's changed now, but it's taken a long time...a lot of self-imposed cognitive therapy if you will. And the odd fling here and there I've had in the past few years have made it very clear to me that women are indeed sexual beings. I do think that believing women weren't sexual was a way for me to avoid or escape from the feelings of complete disgust that the realization of it and its implications would bring in terms of my relationship with my mother.
The ratio of good to bad people in this world will always be tipped in favor of the latter. Always. But that ratio in your own social circle, you can control. And there, and only there, can the balance be favorably tipped, so that those who love you far outnumber those who don't.