Aries1984 the first time I set foot in a therapist office after a panic attack that broke open my seal of repression I looked her in the eye and told her "I think I may be going crazy." Even at that time I knew enough that I could laughingly follow it up with "I know, I know, crazy people don't know they are crazy." It didn't matter though because that is how I FELT despite my knowledge. So I am here to tell you what you are feeling is not abnormal for survivors, you are NOT alone on this one. In fact, it is quite possible you are experiencing side effects associated with PTSD but I am no expert.

This brings me to my next point. If you feel up for it I would highly encourage you to seek out professional help from a counselor, psychologist, or psychiatrist. You asked "does it get worse?" Mental illnesses are like cuts that, if left uncleaned with no bandage, fester until they become progressively more infected even to the point of affecting the whole body like a gangrene or blood poisoning. The people society generally regard as "crazy" did not get that way in a day. Usually, they have spent years if not decades suffering from some unresolved psychological problem of which they may very well be consciously unaware.

That being said I have wonderful news for you. You are not only aware of your PTSD symptoms and recognize them as such but you are also aware of their origins. This means you are can start dressing the wounds that were inflicted upon you as a child. Literature, professionals, and sites like these can all act as medicine for your invisible wounds. I can tell you from personal experience it has gotten much better for me even after only a couple years. This may sound like a long time to have one's mind in a cast but let me tell you after 20 years of suffering in silence thinking I was depressed/suicidal by nature 2 years of knowing otherwise while facing my past is not so bad in comparison : ) And we are only just beginning!