I think primary care docs are ignorant on this subject, generally. My primary care doc is a family friend; I disclosed to him and his wife at their home, not in the doctor's office, but still, I got a similar reaction from him.

He didn't know anything about dissociative issues, wanted to prescribe me an anti-depressant, and was dismissive of my concerns for anti-depressants' suicide risk. He didn't ask me if I needed an HIV test.

I just don't think doctors are well-trained in our issues. As your doctor is a friend of yours, as my doctor is with me, we must take them under our wings and teach them about how to deal with these issues professionally, because we can assure them that we are not their only patients with this issue.

I think every doctor should ask every patient who complains of depression and/or anxiety if there's any CSA in their history. They do not do this; they just write a script for the latest SSRI and send them out the door.

Unfortunately, it's up to us to educate our doctors. They don't teach about CSA in med school, apparently.

Cant