Originally Posted By: martian

Since I started exposure therapy to reduce the effects of PTSD type 2, I noticed that the amnesia, that clouds the memories of my childhood, starts to spread into 'normal' day to day life.

Sometimes I even forget what is said right after someone tells me something.
Does anyone experience something similar while in active therapy?

Martian

I have experienced several different types of amnesia. One of them I have called magic slate amnesia. I experience this when I'm changing venues or events. It's like that child's toy the magic slate, where you lift up the outer plastic sheet and the writing beneath disappears.

http://www.amazon.com/Schylling-Magic-Slates/dp/B000ICZ5IW/

I'm sure this type of amnesia started for me I was 4. The "neighbor" cared (? eek ) for me overnight and then I came home on Sunday. As soon as I stepped through the door of our house, I "forgot" everything that happened in perp's house.

The most important type of amnesia is the long-term one I used to cover the memories of abuse I experienced. That kind of amnesia started breaking up when I was in my mid forties. Then I remembered lots of abusive events and it really rocked my boat. Amnesia was a protective mechanism, but it had to pass before I could start overcoming the effects of the abuse.

As an adult I couldn't remember most of my childhood. I only remembered several scattered spots, like islands in the South Pacific. When I started therapy and remembered the abusive events, this amnesia also cleared.

I have a social amnesia. I have trouble remembering events and names of people. I think it's because I still feel socially ill-at-ease with people. I was socially shunned in middle school and became very depressed.

After EMDR therapy I had lot's of loose memory connections. I think it's because the EMDR actually connected certain brain circuits and left others stranded. These are slowly becoming reconnected as time goes on.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (04/10/13 11:47 AM)