In light of the excuses and victim blaming that occurred during the course of the Steubenville sexual assault case, I couldn't help but offer some reflections. First is the business of blaming the victim for the crime committed against her because she was intoxicated. I've always wondered how it is logical for so many to argue that the physical condition of one person somehow determines the personal behaviour of another. This makes no sense at all to me, unless the latter is a predator waiting for a victim, which then makes perfect sense. Second, how is a victim of a crime who learns of it after the fact to blame for what happened to them? For instance, if someone breaks into my house while I'm at work and robs me blind is this somehow my fault, or that the perpetrator should somehow be absolved of the crime because I wasn't aware it was happening at the time? Of course not, but this is the exact logic used by so many people when the victim of a sexual assault is unconscious at the time of the crime. Third, aside from of how morally and legally reprehensible it is, having sex with someone who is unconscious, passed out, or otherwise incapacitated is just plain gross, so based on this alone, how anyone can justify it is beyond me. Just my reflections for today.