Hey folks,

I apologize if this topic has been discussed before, but I wanted to see if there was anyone out there who had a similar experience.

Are there any survivors who are living with disabilities and had those disabilities before the experience of their assault/rape? Anyone whose disabilities were taken advantage of?

I think it is hard enough for a survivor to admit their assault/rape, but when you live with disability, it comes with its own set of problems. We live in an ableist society that often looks down on, pities, or simply doesn't understand people who are disabled and their daily struggles. As such, it is easy for someone like me to feel insecure discussing these issues with able-bodied people. I have invisible disabilities, or disabilities that you can't see with the naked eye. They are disabilities that I have to admit to before you can really know about them.

Are their other disabled victims like me out there in cyberspace? As much as it saddens me to know other people have experienced this, there is some comfort in knowing I am not alone in my feelings.

Thank you,
Ren

Edited by Tarobuns108 (06/26/13 11:00 PM)
"Don't be ashamed to need help. Like a soldier storming a wall, you have a mission to accomplish. And if you've been wounded and you need a comrade to pull you up? So what?" Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, Book 7:7