On Friday I will be making my first public speech on what has happened to me.

I'm not afraid of talking in public, I have been a key note speaker at international business conferences to audiences of over 2000 people, but that was about entrepreneurship, I always had my mask on and nobody knew who I really was. Wearing that mask made me feel brave, like a knight, it protected me from harm. When I spoke at the 13th International Male Survivor Conference in NYC, it was to fellow survivors, who understood you. I took the mask off as I was speaking to the knights at the round taken. You guys are true warriors.

This time it is not to survivors, it is to 300 medical students at a university.They have an academic talking about male rape from a medical perspective, I've been asked to talk about rape from a survivors point of view. I will have to take down that mask and bear my soul, it will be like talking naked, opening yourself up to be judged. They are future doctors, hopefully they will be empathetic not judgemental.

This is the first time the university has dealt with this taboo subject from a non medical point of view. Things are changing slowly, South African Male Survivors Of Sexual Abuse (SAMSOSA) has for months been working behind the scenes, meetings after meetings, the hard work is now paying off. In Africa there is a saying "the only way to eat an elephant is bite by bite". We have taken a few bites but it will take a decade to meet our objectives.

I know that after the talk, 300 future doctors will be more educated and knowledgable about the subject. They in turn will hopefully be able to assist many men in the future. This way SAMSOSA gets to assist more people in the long term, by one single action.

I still don't know what exactly I'm going to say, but I have a theme "What every medical doctor should know about male rape...a thrivers prospective."

If anybody has any ideas what I should cover please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JoziSA (03/19/13 04:27 AM)

South African MALE SURVIVORS of Sexual Abuse
www.samsosa.org
If your mind can perceive it and your heart can believe it, YOU can achieve it.