You're not alone txb nor are you BraveFalcon. In fact, last night I was disclosing some of my struggles to a couple of my friends. They are incredulous when it comes to mental health issues in general and PTSD in particular. No doubt, it is born out of an intellectual and emotional ignorance while thriving in the rich soils of the social stigmatization of mental health. I should note my one friend also stated that some soldiers "make it up" for health benefits and what he considered the "prestige" of PTSD status. I challenged his viewpoint while explaining the deleterious effects of PTSD but it is hard to persuade people away from their presumptions. I consider this progress since in the beginning he thought PTSD was not real but now recognizes it. By the way Life's A Dream I had never thought of The Shining in those terms it both intriguing and scary to consider.