I am a prepper. Not quite a crazy doomsday prepper. I haven't spent my life savings building a bunker 40 feet under my garage, but I like to be prepared. I keep a few months of non perishable food on hand, many hundreds of litres of drinking water, many gallons of stabilized gasoline, a gas generator, a wood stove with lots of wood to burn, a couple of "go bags" at the ready... & my pride & joy: My emergency solar backup power system. It's kind of a hobby for me.

But I just got thinking today about this... Does my need to prep come from a need to feel safe, possibly due to being violated in the past? Do I over compensate now because I had no protection from bad things as a child? It's a really safe & sensible hobby I think. It means that in a power outage or major catastrophe my wife & I will likely be ok. Sure beats drinking, gambling or collecting Star Wars toys, from that perspective!

Anyone else here identify with this?
The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson