A recent topic here that questions the very nature of allowed conversation where certain members were more concerned with labeling and finger-pointing deeply concerns me. All of us here know the silence, know how hard it was the first time we discussed our abuse with anyone, it’s called “self-censorship”. Typically this relates to political discourse but is relevant here as I’m sure I’m not the only one who tries to ensure that what I post will not be considered injurious to others or even mean spirited; “self-censorship”. We are all dealing with issues that affect everything we do, everyone we meet and everything we are, truth and honesty are the only tools we have to combat years of self-torment and abuse by others, the last thing we need here is any type of censorship due to a perceived offense by members. I know the US constitution does not reign supreme here but it should serve as a model for what is allowed. Offensive speech is allowed, obscenity is not, I can’t see how certain offensive words could be misconstrued as obscenity when no obscene or personal attacks were carried out by a member. Just because someone takes offense does not mean it’s obscene. If Noam Chomsky can defend “Holocaust Deniers” then I certainly can defend “homophobic content” here on MS; it’s not even close.

“If we don't believe in free speech for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.” N. Chomsky

Cee

T. Paine