Originally Posted By: EagerLearner
For survivors:
1. What was it that ultimately drove you to seek therapy and how has it helped you?
2. If you have not seen a therapist, what are some barriers that you think might keep you from getting help? Or what coping mechanisms have you developed on your own so that you don't feel the need for professional therapy?

I don't know how much help this will be to you as you are trying to help someone younger. I'm finally dealing with the CSA starting about a year ago at the age of 51. I never thought of the CSA. I never forgot it but wasn't something I thought about. Until last year I didn't think it was all that significant.

I've been under a lot of stress for a few years. Then starting about two years ago a bunch of stuff started happening that were difficult for me. This was related to my work. Some things caused a downward spiral for me. Relationships at work were badly effected. At one point I was trying to figure out what has screwed up my life so bad. I had to include the CSA in this. I read a lot of books on the subject and discovered how destructive the CSA could be.

I looked online for CSA therapy in my area and didn't come up with anything for adults. A few months later I looked again and found a resource center for men that had a CSA program. I went down, was accepted and told it would be a few days before they would get back to me on setting up sessions. Seven months later (after a number of contacts) I went down last night. After completing six weekly EmpowerMen (serious) sessions I will be starting with therapist.

Barriers? Just the normal male stuff. I'm OK. and I can deal with this.

After all the reading I did I decided that I could do stuff on my own but that sometimes you are better off calling on a professional. On this I didn't think a DIY approach was a good idea.

While the following does not apply for your situation (yet) many parts fit with me.
http://www.pandys.org/articles/oldersurvivorsofchildsexualassault.html