Wow, I didn't realise people were still responding to this thread. I posted this at the beginning of 2010.

As an update, it has been 3 and a half years since I talked face to face with my best friend. We are greatly seperated georgraphically since I have made my move to southern California permanenent, but I still wanted some form of contact or a reason why he didn't want to talk to me.

Two weeks ago, I got the courage to write a pretty long message which I sent to him on facebook (we are no longer facebook friends and haven't been for about 2 years). Facebook showed me that he read the message, but a week went by and I did not get a reply.

I decided to get his cell phone number and text him. I did it, and he responded with "I', not interested in going over all this. Basically people lose touch and that's life".

This was the final closure on our friendship, which I had been avoiding for all this time.

There was a point in my life where I relied on him. I'm sure he saved my life at one point and I wouldn't be here right now without that, so I am at least thankful for what he has done for me in the past.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words also.