Anyone have any experience with taking legal action for their abuse? I have the opportunity, and I really can't decide. I've been struggling with this since the news hit about the boy scouts several weeks ago. In case anyone is contemplating assisting me with this decision I provide the following as background:
- I've always known it happened. Until recently I didn't realize it was such a horrible thing. He had me so convinced that it was something done to show love.
- The boy scouts and he were taken to court in MD for the same thing (I was abused in RI).
- He "lost" the case in MD. In RI he was sentenced to therapy (I wasn't involved in the litigation at that time).
- The scouts won their case by throwing mud on the family of the victim.
- He's dead.
My thought is to possibly establish a case against the scouts. My questions are these:
- Is there any potential benefit to me? (closure? vindication?)
- Are there any potential hazards for me? (public disclosure of my history?)
- Is there any potential benefit to the youth now and future? (I have decided that if I go forward with this, I will establish a fixed percent of any settlement to donate to a worthy cause, such as boy/girls club of America)
That's about it. Anyone out the having gone through the litigation process, please let me know as much as you can about your experience.
"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -Daliai Lama