I have to echo what gecko has advised. My understanding is that the majority of those abused do not go on to abuse, but many who do abuse have been abused. These are not the same. In 100 men, 1 in 6 have been sexually abused, or approx 17 men. Of those same 100 men, 3% to 9% are pedophiles or, let's say, 5 pedophiles for the sake of argument. Of those 5 pedophiles, 35% were victims of child sexual abuse themselves. This equates to 1.5 Pedophiles that were child sexual abuse victims. To then determine the rate of victims who go on to abuse, divide 1.5 by 17 and you get 9% of child sexual abuse victims going on to becomes sexual abusers themselves.

These rates come from unrelated studies in the U.S. and rates vary in other countries like Africa where social norms, culture and myths about Aids exist.

With all the above said, statistics are simply averages often taken from small studies and extrapolated to large populations. In short, they mean shit. The 1 in 6 average is used to create awareness and is useful in that context, but averages are fluid and influenced by tremendous factors not considered.

Point is, I think your need to protect your children and be vigilant about teaching them body safe rules is no more influenced by the knowledge that he was abused than by the fact that he may be a brunette.

My husband was the victim of abuse at the hands of 3 perps. One of the greatest stigma that he carries around and impedes his recovery is the myth that he is likely to abuse himself. This myth breeds fear and hurts those victims who are trying to rid themselves of guilt and shame that they are somehow tainted and worthless because of their own victimization.

We mothers must always be vigilant of our children's safety, but paranoia and myths does nothing to protect them. It only confuses the issues and drives this issue further underground.