the key is to find the right therapist or psychiatrist. Like Publius stated, it is a job to some and some have inflated egos and believe they understand every type of abuse, mental conflict, illness--when in reality they should stick to what they are good at. CSA is complicated and few understand or have the capacity to understand how a child's mind works and the long term effects of CSA including PTSD. Assessing and asking questions is key to finding someone that can help. I have heard stories of therapists and doctors saying the effects of CSA are contrived and not real. I bet if you look at their background, they have not worked with or studied in depth CSA--but because of their credentials and probably trying to fill billable hours hold themselves as one. Sadly, be it CSA, other forms of PTSD, mental illnesses, the one who suffers is the victim, who is not given a chance to heal because of poor counsel.

I have been fortunate, my T has been able to help me, open up and helping to reconnect myself. I never realized how disconnected I was, which caused so many issues from loneliness, to lost time to feeling inadequate and self loathing. On another thread, someone posted loneliness is about being disconnected and not how many people you have around you.

So talk to the therapist or psychiatrist upfront, find out their therapy, experience--see how open they are in sharing this information with you. Also, see how they listen to you--do the past judgment or give a matter of fact answer--probably not someone who is open to understanding you.

Keep going, you will find the right person.