I watched an interview on TV Thursday night. It involved an author who has written a book on bullying. I was about to turn it off when I realized it was dealing with a terrible problem I had as a youth. I was in great emotional pain age 13 to 15. I was shunned by the other boys at school and I didn't have any friends outside of school. My Boy Scout troop had turned abusive and after one final abusive incident by the acting troop leader I left. His name was Warren Hammond. The Troop vanished. The coach said and did hurtful things at school. When we moved to another city I went to a socially difficult high school. Everybody but the loners was in a clique. I would eat lunch all alone and then find an empty classroom and cry.

The book has an unlikely title: The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory, and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School, by Alexandra Robbins.

http://www.amazon.com/Geeks-Shall-Inherit-Earth-Popularity/dp/B005X49J4Q/

During the interview they discussed some of the points of great pain to me as a youth: Lunch time and the cafeteria problem, The influence of the coach, and the problem of cliques. It was mentioned that in my day we could go home and be away from the painful situation. Today's kids may go home and be called names in the "social media" like facebook. It was emphasized that the school has responsibility for things like this that go on.

The point is made that sometimes the "quirky or geeky" kids in school are outsiders but they become the successful ones after graduation. I don't know that I agree with that point. I was outwardly successful in that I completed 3 college degrees and taught in colleges. But I had a list of problems as long as your arm. I remained in a lot of pain. Only recently has the pain seemed to lift.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (11/09/12 11:46 AM)