I'm going to say it's probably a Hold-over from Jewish Faith.

They took very serious the command to not use God's NAME in vain. So they never spoke His name, instead they always replaced it, when reading the scriptures with Adonai.

Anyway in your modern translation whenever you see LORD spelled out in all caps, the original Hebrew (old old pre-babylonian exile Hebrew) had YHWH or actually to be more correct: HWHY (Hebrew is read right to left and not left to right).

Also that old Hebrew had NO VOWELS! At least not when written.

After the Babylonian Exile, when the Persians had defeated the Babylonians, and the Hebrew people were permitted to leave and return to Israel, they suddenly had a whole new generation of Hebrew people who's native tongue was no longer Hebrew.... It was Babylonian.

SO when scribing new copies of the original Hebrew Scriptures, the scribes began adding vowel sound characters to better assist the younger generation with properly reading and pronouncing the Hebrew writings.

This is all good across the board EXCEPT for one case! That case dealt with reading aloud the name of God, and how seriously they took not using His name in vain.

Now..... If you don't want me to utterly ruin SO many songs and writings etc for you.... don't read what's next. I'll color it in white, just highlight the text if you really really want to read it.

Start Hidden text.
Whenever Scribes, making copies would be adding vowels to the text, when they came to the name of God, they added the vowels, NOT for God's name, but for Adonai! Why you may ask? As a reminder to the younger generation to instead say Adonai and not God's actual name. They really really did NOT want to pronounce it invain!

So.... when we come to modern translations, the original people to translate the Hebrew into a modern language were the Germans! Not being aware of this Hebrew imposed rule of replacing God's name, they translated the given vowels with the proper consonants and we got: Yehowah. Bring that from German to english, where some German consonants (which match english) make a different sound, we end up with Jehovah.

So why might this ruin so much Christian literature and songs.... Well it's just plain out WRONG. The proper consonants are A and E: and we get Yahweh. I find for my self, I just can't sing anything with Jahovah in it anymore. I always try to fit Yahweh in there! Which of course doesn't have the same number of syllables.

End Hidden text.

So like I said, the whole name thing and us not using it very much comes down to nothing more than tradition and "it's just always been done that way."

I agree with you though and often when I'm praying I'll use it and yes, it does make me feel more connected to God. You could also use "daddy" which is what anyone who uses "Abba" is actually saying.

Edited by JustScott (10/26/12 09:03 AM)