Update on this mentoring situation:

we met and talked for a couple of hours. good beginning. just getting to know one another. this young man is 18 - though he looks much younger - and has had lots of hurt - not exactly like mine - but some that are similar. death of father, step-father with little in common, cold and distant mom, adjustments to international moves, extreme religion issues, etc.

i don't know if there is abuse in his background yet - and didn't go into detail about mine. he is aware of my step-dad's physical and verbal abuse and school bullying as generalities - that is all. we'll see whether it is helpful to go into more depth or address the CSA monster under the bed as time goes on.

he has seen through the cult that his mom is part of (their leader claims to be the reincarnation of Jesus!) - but living with her, he does not have the freedom to assert his own beliefs (which seem amazingly solid for a kid from such a dysfunctional family) nor attend the place or style of worship that he chooses. it is ok for him to attend the men's group led by my pastor and meet with me. he needs someone who understands and can speak truth and support him when he feels weak and confused and overwhelmed.

Thank you all for your encouraging words and prayers. i had peace about the time we spent together. we have planned to meet again next week - same time & place.

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago