Originally Posted By: Country
I just don't think that people understand , as survivors , the effect words can have on us. Or maybe it is just me.
Does anyone get headaches when they are depressed ? Sorry for troubling y'all with my crap as I know y'all have your own issues.

Country - it's true - anyone who has been subject to abuse is more sensitive to anything that reminds them of abuse - whether it is others' words or actions - even if it is unintentional - or less serious than the way we percieve it. we magnify it it our own minds and react as if it was a major event. lilke we are re-enacting the reactions to past events that were really bad. and no - it is not just you.

on headaches - i used to get terrible migraines that would completely incompacitate me. that was at a stage when i was not depressed - or if i was i disn't act like it or know it. Then i got severely depressed - and aat that stage i don't remember the headaches being as bad. i think the buried trauma was having different effects at different periods of my life. since i have become aware of the abuse and started to deal with it - both the headaches and the depression have been less severe. i have been moody and withdrawn and edgy and irritable - and all kinds of other varieties of no-fun-to-be-around - but not the nearly comatose unresponsive depression that i was in before.

sometimes headaches have a physical cause - might be worth checking with a doc.

and one more thing - don't apologize. this is what we are all here for - to support one another.
Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago