Originally Posted By: Country
I just don't think that people understand , as survivors , the effect words can have on us. Or maybe it is just me.
Does anyone get headaches when they are depressed ? Sorry for troubling y'all with my crap as I know y'all have your own issues.

Country - it's true - anyone who has been subject to abuse is more sensitive to anything that reminds them of abuse - whether it is others' words or actions - even if it is unintentional - or less serious than the way we percieve it. we magnify it it our own minds and react as if it was a major event. lilke we are re-enacting the reactions to past events that were really bad. and no - it is not just you.

on headaches - i used to get terrible migraines that would completely incompacitate me. that was at a stage when i was not depressed - or if i was i disn't act like it or know it. Then i got severely depressed - and aat that stage i don't remember the headaches being as bad. i think the buried trauma was having different effects at different periods of my life. since i have become aware of the abuse and started to deal with it - both the headaches and the depression have been less severe. i have been moody and withdrawn and edgy and irritable - and all kinds of other varieties of no-fun-to-be-around - but not the nearly comatose unresponsive depression that i was in before.

sometimes headaches have a physical cause - might be worth checking with a doc.

and one more thing - don't apologize. this is what we are all here for - to support one another.
Lee
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself... And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity." - Paulo Coelho