I've been lurking on these forums for about a year now and finally decided I should register. I'm looking for common support and I'm quite isolated in the area that I live so it's rather difficult to find support when I need it outside of my immediate family.

I was sexually abused while attending a private boarding school between the ages of 12 and 13 and it's taken me the better part of 25 years to really come to terms with that and start dealing with it. I've been in therapy now for about 6 months and while I'm getting needed support from my therapist and a few very close friends, I still have days when all of this is overwhelming to me. Being a male survivor is particularly hard due to our general society being unable to acknowledge that sexual abuse happens to boys and men too. It seems to be out there but nobody really wants to talk about it.

I appreciate on-line friends and have very few reservations talking openly about pretty much anything. I'm gay and have struggled with that identity most of my life due to my abuse. I'm not religious and I am not seeking to be converted but I am always respectful of differing viewpoints in that area. I've taken different steps towards resolution that have not included pursuing my abuser or the institution where the abuse occurred and I sometimes have conflicting emotions as to how I've chosen to resolve things. Emotional roller coaster is somewhat of an understatement.

I've very easy to talk to, I listen well, and I'm old enough to know that I might be able to offer advice or support. I also enjoy using commas and run-on sentences.

Thanks for listening, I'll crawl back under my rock now for a little while and lurk.