Just changed my avatar - So I thought i owed an explanation...

Also i'd like this thread to resurface because others may want to intoduce themselves in a little more detail this way - I think the explanations are fascinating!

Here's an intro to the "new ME"

My new avatar is also a Caravaggio painting – David with the Head of Goliath, 1608. Recently I’ve been feeling like I’ve made some progress and don’t want to identify as much with the victim status of my old avatar, Isaac being sacrifice.

David – still little more than a boy, but a strong and confident boy – strides forward purposefully, soberly aware of the magnitude and significance of his recent actions – and displaying the evidence of his triumph – the ugly head of Goliath. David is not only a SURVIVOR of his battle - but a VICTOR! He has slain the evil and destructive giant that mocked him, belittled him, and sought to kill him and enslave him and his people. Though smaller, out-classed in weaponry, and physically weaker, through his faith and a seemingly hopeless effort, David has WON - and in the process has become a MAN and has been recognized as a HERO.

The giant to me symbolizes not the individual abusers – but the power and control they and their actions had over my life for so many years. I am in the process of defeating and destroying and KILLING that oppression and expelling its effects from my mind, emotions and body.

“Caravaggio painted three versions of David (and Goliath), all centered around the theme of *transformative justice*; that is, the way in which the defeat of Goliath affected David. David is inextricably attached to and defined by Goliath. Caravaggio’s "David and Goliaths" represent the underlying action that made David great: the defeat of the profane giant …" (caravaggista.com)

I’m not there yet, but with faith, hope, hard work and perseverance, I will be some day. And some day, I’ll no longer be “inextricably attached to and defined by” my history and battles with the giant. That will only be one of many details that made me who I am.

Hopefully,
Lee

Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago