I love reading all the explanations for the names and avatars you all have chosen.

Here's mine:

My user name is "traveler" because that describes me well - never content to settle in too deeply anywhere. I've lived at over 25 addresses on four continents and have visited more than 30 countries. This is all probably part of either searching for something or trying to escape something - or both.

Obviously, I am on a metaphorical journey as well - or maybe a spiritual and emotional quest - traveling from a place of darkness and pain in hopes of finding a place of inner peace and healing.

My avatar is a detail from “The Sacrifice of Isaac” by the Italian renaissance artist, Caravaggio, painted in 1603. (BTW- he was a troubled soul - I would guess he had experienced his own set of traumas!) It shows the split second when an angel intervenes to save Isaac, who is about to be sacrificed by his father, Abraham. But Isaac does not yet know what his fate will be. He is still expeccting the knife to fall. He cannot see the angel above and behind him restraining his father's hand. This picture resonates with me because of several reasons: the victim’s fear, the attacker’s power, the religious context - that part is really complicated! It sort of captures the way I feel - ultimately a survivor - because we know the end of the Isaac story - but not yet experiencing the full freedom of what is to come - still pinned to the altar, still feeling the terror, still anticipating the ultimate pain... Hoping for an angel to intervene!

Regards,
Lee

Edited by traveler (12/07/11 02:48 AM)
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago