Tommy,

I didn't have one growing up. Either they couldn't afford it or it wasnt a priority. Oh well, I still have insomnia, so I am glad that you have a good friend to cuddle up with.

2 years ago, when I was going through an 8 month panic attack, I asked my daughter if her daughter had a stuffed animal that she wasnt closely attached to that I could borrow. My AA sponsor, who is also a CSA survivor, suggested it, and so I followed the direction.

Next time I went over to my daughter's home, my grand daughter came up to me with a polar bear animal and said, "This is for you Grampy. He said that he thought you might need a friend." I was so grateful. ( I cant stop blubbering now, amazing how much things like this can be so influential in our lives)

I gave her a big hug and took the bear home. It was amazing how much that bear was a comfort to me for a time. I had a hard time leaving him home when I left for awhile. But I assured him that I would be back and not to worry. And I can't believe that I actually talked to him regularly. At first it felt like I was an escapee from the cuckoo's nest. Glad I was able to go with it.

When my sponsor first suggested it, I was very leary of it, because of my 'manhood' jitters. But, NO, it isn't sissy and it is a good thing and I am glad that you brought it up. It brought back the memory of it that I hadn't thought about in a year and a half.

I no longer need it to be with me in bed, but i do still have it on my dresser. It was the best thing to help during my days of hell. I made it through it and i think that bear helped to a degree.

My totem is a grizzly bear, but my daughter said that they didnt have one, but that my grand daughter quickly found the polar bear and said that it was a cousin. Bless the beasts and the innocence of children. Wow, i cant believe that made me cry, but it was a good and cleansing thing to have a 'good' cry. It is amazing also, that I couldn't bring myself to call the bear an 'it' in this post. It is as though the bear is still a friend and not a thing.

take care man

peace

paul

~ adapted from: Sri Ram