The following is taken from Susan Estrich's book Real Rape which was written in 1986. It is quoted in the foreward for Male On Male Rape by Michael Scarce(1997).

"Although my focus is on the rape of women, I do not meant to suggest that men are not raped. The general invisibility of the problem of male rape, at least outside the prison context, may reflect the intensity of stigma attached to the crime and the homophobic reactions against its gay victims. In some respects the situation facing male rape victims today is not so different from that which faced female victims about two centuries ago."

I do applaud the man in North Carolina who not only had the courage to come forward with his rape but also to have endured what he had to afterwards. I am also thankful that in spite of all that he still has the inner strength to continue to tell his story. Even if it is without using his real name it is still his story being used to touch others.

I was very fortunate in that the the initial officer was kind and the sex crimes investigator was incredibly sensititve. He had years of experience and kept telling me I was not the only person to have gone through this. I would love to shake his hand today. It is true that the medical staff were professional and they did what they had to do. It was an incredibly uncomfortable time and it was horrifying but they did it as quickly as they could I believe. I kept denying I had been raped but all knew the truth of the matter and treated me with respect. I am very thankful for that but at the time could not really see it as being that way.

One can hope for better days for future generations.

Daryl

Edited by prisonerID (03/29/11 07:50 AM)