I recall coming across that story at some point when I was looking for resources online about male ASA.

Yes, very triggering.

I have mixed feelings on the experience I had with police and medical personnel after they found me in my bed and there were obvious signs of sexual assault. It is hard to explain but I don't recall ever being raped so a lot of my trauma is in the experience in the hospital after the assault(s). Then there is a lot of legal/medical paperwork that we have that I can't read because it will be too overwhelming and I would rather not know at this time. My wife has read it all and she says there is no need for me to read it either but she will be there with me if I feel like I have to read it.

The folder sits there in a filing cabinet, next to the medical bills, insurance papers, our tax returns. It's there with the paperclips & pay stubs. It's for that reason that I don't pay the bills and I leave it up to my spouse, even though it is one of those ways I could pitch in around here.

The memories of the exam after the rape are absolutely horrible. I can see why a lot of men don't report assault because of it. I remember asking for local anesthesia for the process and they said "That's not something we do." Well, maybe it should be? I don't know how I got on this TMI tangent anyway.

it makes me angry..livid...hearing about how mens' experiences are [mis]handled by health & law enforcemnt professionals. I feel like we are expected to "suck it up" more than women, but sometimes it is just too much.

At the same time, I am grateful that they at least intervened and I don't know what would have happened to me if they didn't find me. I know I wouldn't have told because I was too ashamed. Maybe they saved my life and I should just be grateful.

- Saint John of the Cross