For me, it has been a struggle being out/gay but if I had a choice I wouldn't change a thing, well at least the part of me being gay...

I was raised Southern Baptist, the whole fire and brimstone philosphy of living. Honestly it scared me senseless. To the point where I just threw religion, god and everything else related to it away... I knew I was gay, born that way... I couldn't stop being gay... but I could stop being religious...

It has only been recently that I have started to connect to my own spirituality... I think in the end, I had to find my own way to my higher power. My faith is a different than the christian faith and especially the way I was raised on. I no longer beleive that I or anyone else is going to hell.

Yes, strides have been made when it comes to gay rights and how others feel about it but there are still others who not only think its wrong and we are going to hell, but they treat others who are gay badly... It is hard to not take it personal and get a complex... That is what I did, I let my families feelings towards religion and being gay cloud who I was...

I too was letting others determine who I was and that has affected me very deeply. I am tired of living in fear... I even let them steal my spirituality. They have stolen so much, I won't allow them to take that as well...

I find it sad that others rob those who are glbtq from having their own kind of spirituality, whatever it is. For me, with my healing, it has become very important. I like to think of my higher power as Mother Earth... It helps to comfort me... Faith to me is hope....

This certainly isn't a tough world we live in and not just for gay people. Acceptance is hard thing to do deal with especially when you add in religion. Growing up anyone that is different is isolated and picked on... Plus if you add family dysfuction and CSA, it all can be too confusing when you are trying to figure everything out, especially your sexuality...

http://itismytimetoshine.wordpress.com