Keeping proper boundaries is very important in the helping fields. I work in the field and have done so for most of my adult life, with the homeless in particular, and have seen so many colleagues go down the tubes as a result of not being able to maintain proper boundaries. For me itís a double whammy since not only am I caring for the hardest to serve in my community (the addicted, the mentally ill, etc) but I am also president of my union where I work which means that I am responsible for forwarding the well being of my co-workers too, in an extremely tough environment to work in to boot. Anyways I took some very good training a while back which touched on boundaries. One thing that stuck in my mind from it is never employ 100% empathy when helping someone else in a professional context. This may sound nasty to say but the point behind it is that you canít be a helper if youíre in the same helpless position that the person in need of the help is, if this makes any sense. I compare it to trying to save someone who has fallen in a pit. You canít help if you are down in there with them. JS