Keeping proper boundaries is very important in the helping fields. I work in the field and have done so for most of my adult life, with the homeless in particular, and have seen so many colleagues go down the tubes as a result of not being able to maintain proper boundaries. For me itís a double whammy since not only am I caring for the hardest to serve in my community (the addicted, the mentally ill, etc) but I am also president of my union where I work which means that I am responsible for forwarding the well being of my co-workers too, in an extremely tough environment to work in to boot. Anyways I took some very good training a while back which touched on boundaries. One thing that stuck in my mind from it is never employ 100% empathy when helping someone else in a professional context. This may sound nasty to say but the point behind it is that you canít be a helper if youíre in the same helpless position that the person in need of the help is, if this makes any sense. I compare it to trying to save someone who has fallen in a pit. You canít help if you are down in there with them. JS

Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And weíll change the world.