Charlie,

I have a son who is diagnosed high-functioning autistic and possibly ADHD. My daughter is borderline aspergers. Both involve social clumsiness and we have had both to see behavioral psychologists and a neurologist. Essentially, we had to learn different methods and fine tune our discipline with our son. We learned to set rules clearly ahead of time and avoid escalating confrontation once he is having a meltdown (not give in, but allow him a safe place to vent, then address the situation). One of the prime examples when we knew we had a problem was that our daughter grabbed Mom's hot curling iron ONCE. Aaron did it a third time. Now, you would say he must be dumb as a box of rocks and if that were the case we would love him. But he wasn't so we endeavored to find out.

His treatment also included physical therapy involving coordination skills, bouncing balls, brushing with a surgical brush (much like petting a dog) and a variety of other methods which worked wonders. Bottom line is that we are aware of things and just planning accordingly. This will also include taking his condition into account in determining his career field choices.

An example of this is my own ADHD, diagnosed since I was a child (and a convenient scapegoat for many of my symptoms of CSA which is another topic). I am now a very happy owner of a growing tax business. I am required to constantly shift focus to different clients' returns, typically in about an hour each. It is exactly what I am prone to do so instead of choosing a field (such as surgeon) requiring long periods of concentration, I choose one requiring rapid and constant change of focus. ADHD might well find customer service rep positions fit their personality very well.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.