Lawmakers Making a Difference …
U.S. Senators Barbara Mikulski (D-Maryland) and Richard Shelby (R-Alabama), who lead an appropriations panel in the U.S. Senate, have worked hard throughout their careers to secure federal funding for vital anti-violence initiatives across the nation. Working in a bipartisan manner, these two Senators have long championed funding for crisis services such as the National Sexual Assault Hotline programs and the Sexual Assault Services Program as well as programs to give prosecutors and police the tools they need to catch sex offenders and keep them behind bars. They also have worked hard to secure the funding necessary to ensure that the nation's crime laboratories can promptly analyze DNA evidence collected from criminal offenders and crime scenes, by recommending full funding for the "Debbie Smith DNA Backlog Program."

“Sexual assault and violence exacts terrible costs on individual lives and our communities. As Chairwoman of the Commerce, Justice and Science Appropriations Subcommittee, I fight every year to put funds in the federal checkbook to protect Americans from sexual assault and violence, and to provide victims of these crimes the support services they need. I will continue my fight to put funds in the federal checkbook to fund these important programs.”
-- Senator Barbara Mikulski (D-Maryland)

“Victims of sexual crimes are among the most vulnerable members of our society. It is critical that Congress protect these victims by recognizing and addressing issues associated with such horrible crimes. As a U.S. Senator, I will continue to support legislation and funding to that end.”
-- Senator Richard Shelby (R-Alabama)