I'm not about to make the leap that things are "better" since we've suffered, but this just popped into my head, so I'll throw it out here for consideration.

In my experience with grieving (and I've had a LOT over the last 5 years), there are some people who "get it" and there are those that don't. People who have been touched by grief, (and also made their way through it) are a lot more sympethetic toward others, and seem to be more humane in general.

People who have never lost anyone close to them (or have never grieved over people they have lost) are hard edged, and say things like, "It's been 3 months already. Are you going to get over this, or what?"

Parallels can be drawn with any terrible events, including abuse. I don't think that it is good that terrible things happen, but we can choose to make good come out of them. Do we give up on all of humanity, because some terrible humans betrayed our trust? Or can we take what we've learned, and help make this world a better place. This is another example, I think, of the free choice that God granted to man. We don't HAVE to accept the way things are.

I just remembered that in Job, God blessed his life even more than the life he lived before his troubles. Of course, these new children he had don't REPLACE his other children. But I think that it shows that things CAN be better after tragedy. Not the same, but things can improve.

I'm in a lucky position, because I ALREADY have a job, helping kids who have been abused. My flashback came before I made concrete my plans to move into another line of work. Now I'm convinced that working with these kids is where I want to stay, for my career.

We will all find our own way in this world, and we'll all find our own ways to give back to the world. I think my way might be more visible, but simply living a good life, teaching our kids not to judge others, to be responsible for their actions, and treating one another with dignity is a true gift to the world.

J
We're in this together.