This is from my local newspaper. The police and the public are starting to get it right, guys. This 6 year old boy is my hero right now. He still had his spirit, and he called for help. And help came. Hang in there, guys. Times are changing for the better.

Merrick mom, boyfriend held in beating of boy, 6

BY JENNIFER SINCO KELLEHER

jennifer.kelleher@newsday.com

November 2, 2008

A Merrick woman and her boyfriend have been arrested and charged with assaulting her 6-year-old son with leather belts, Nassau police said yesterday.

A neighbor called 911 saying the boy could be heard screaming for help amid whipping noises for at least 20 minutes on Friday night, said police spokesman Det. Lt. Kevin Smith.

When police arrived at the Meadowbrook Road address, they knocked on the door and called the apartment's telephone but got no answer, Smith said. Eventually, emergency services officers broke down the door and found the boy crying in a bedroom, with cuts and bruises on his leg, buttocks and groin area, Smith said.

The boy's mother, Jessica Muniz, 29, and her boyfriend, Anthony Badalamenti, 31, were also inside the apartment. They were arrested and charged with second-degree assault, possession of a dangerous weapon and endangering the welfare of a child, police said.

They are expected to be arraigned in First District Court in Hempstead today.

The boy was taken to Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow, where he was treated and released to a relative, Smith said.

At a news conference yesterday, police officials showed photos of the boy's leg, which showed red welts.

Officials also displayed a black belt, folded and taped with duct tape, and a white belt without a buckle that they said were found in the apartment and were not used with clothing, Smith said.

Holding up the black belt, he said it was used as "a striking instrument, obviously."

Badalamenti told police he's a self-employed personal trainer, Smith said, while Muniz said she's unemployed. Neither has a criminal history, Smith said.

Copyright 2008, Newsday Inc.

I know this isn't specifically CSA, but physical abuse isn't exclusive of CSA. My Mom did both, and I know I'm not alone. My welts and bruises have faded, thankfully.

--Dave