Originally Posted By: roadrunner
On[e] thing you can perhaps help us with is this. Right now we don’t have a very good title: “Recognizing the Enemy: a Guide for Understanding Sexual Abusers (and the Hold They May Have on You)”. The aim of the book isn’t understanding abusers just for its own sake, but with the aim of breaking that hold. If you have any ideas for a better title after reading the contents we would be grateful if you could let us have them.

The title that you are using doesn't clearly reflect your stated aim. In fact, the part that addresses it obliquely is parenthetical and therefore read as secondary, a footnote. I agree with the suggestions others have made - that you keep the title short and on point - maybe something like Breaking the Hold with a subtitle of "Understanding abuse and the hold it has on us."

My first impression of the working title was that the book was about abusers, not about recovery. Didn't appeal to me at all, which brings up another question. Who is the target audience for this book? Survivors, victims, family members, therapists, law enforcement, legal system, ...? The working title makes it sound like it for people working with abusers, rather than male survivors.

I wish you all the best with this - thank you both for all your work!

Mike