On July 2nd I got a request on YouTube to participate in a collab video on the subject of “What do you believe?” The teenager who started the thing asked others to list three things they believe in –anything at all – and then end by saying: “I believe in you, I believe in me.” Here’s his original video starting the whole thing off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVeIyidJ_QA&feature=related

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to participate since I’m not know how to do such things yet. But i would have loved to! Responses poured in from people of all ages, both genders, gay and straight, and many ethnic origins, and with almost no exception his request was taken seriously. Nine days later he began putting the collaborative video together, and this is what he came up with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4zm3rAmNcI

This whole thing is so incredibly powerful! And it immediately made me wonder what we would come up with if we asked the same question here on MaleSurvivor - not with videos, but just with our written responses.

And I liked the idea of closing with “I believe in you, and I believe in me.” Isn’t it true? If we don’t believe in ourselves and each other, at least to some extent, why is it that we come here?

We have all lost so much, and perhaps the most terrible loss is the loss of our ability to believe – in ourselves, in others, in our hope for a better world, in our prospects for recovery. But in the midst of all this, are there things we do in fact still believe in and cling to as the rocks we feel we can build on?

I’d like to try this, and I'm putting it here in this forum so everyone who wants to can participate. If you feel you can, list three things (not more) that you believe in. Thing of what’s important to you and just say it, whatever it is. And again, if you can, end by saying “I believe in you, I believe in me.”

What are mine?

I believe that everyone is lovable.
I believe that everyone deserves respect.
I believe in freedom and justice.

I believe in you, I believe in me.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)