I've seen that film, Mel. It was very disturbing. Jimmy accepts a ride home from a stranger after basketball practice. Before he knows it, Jimmy and this stranger are good friends. Soon, this friend is asking Jimmy to do things he doesn't want to do....

Anyway, in no way am I trying to minimize the implications of abuse. I agree...even ten victims per abuser is a LOT.

Larry, I did write a thesis about a year ago that was never printed about child abuse arrest cases. I don't have the thesis handy, and I'm too lazy to do redundant work, but my findings throughout several studies were that the number of arrests in abuse cases is actually much higher than 3.3.%. However, the important number is how many convictions result from those arrests, and that number was less than 10%. Keep in mind...this is a percentage of a percentage, meaning that less than 1% of all abusers are ever convicted of any crime.

What I'd really like to know, though, is how many abused boys, girls, men, and women actually end up getting help for their abuse. To me, that is the most important statistic, because those who are abused without getting help are the most likely to perpetuate that abuse.

Bryan

Edited by BJK (08/16/08 10:09 AM)

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.