Markgreyblue - I was diagnosed with OCD and multiple other things before I hit the age of 13. Doc's pumped me full of meds and then left me out on the shelf to dry. I was a psychiatric mess growing up. You are absolutely right, OCD is not easy. However, I have worked very hard with several cognitive psychotherapists to at least curve some of the un-bearable behaviors. I found that the less medication, the better...for me anyways. It's weird, but I have been working with troubled kids for over 8 years and this has helped my behaviors as well. Just know that if you don't take control and learn to beat the shit out of this bastard of a disease, it will destroy you. It makes me very irritated when I hear or see the general populations interpretation of this illness. It's not funny, and it's not about being "anal". There are so many parts to OCD that people are ignorant to in the sense of morbid thoughts/obsessions and etc. It can be truly terrifying.

I noticed another reply with a referral to the OCD Work Book and Brain Lock. I suggest that as well. Brain Lock is a great book. Another interesting read, not so much "self help"..but, check out The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Washing by Judith A. Rapoport. Is a classic OCD book.

If you need any other book referrals, please let me know. I may be able to help.

Take care.