With all of the bad memories that have been surfacing as of late, I thought I'd share a good memory that I just remembered upon waking up this morning.

I was perhaps 20 years old, and I was with my aunt and her two little nieces. They were about 5 and 8 years old at the time. We had eaten at a McDonald's, and as we were on our way back to the car, the 8 year old realized she had to go to the bathroom. My aunt told the 5 year old and me to go out to the car to start it (it was very cold), and she would be right out. As she was leaving us, she told her 5 year old daughter to "Make sure you hold his hand when you're crossing the parking lot."

What a good parent.

I was deathly afraid of taking this 5-year old's hand to cross this parking lot, so I put it down by my side towards her just slightly in her direction so she could grab it if she wanted to. I felt a tentative child's hand in mine. It was cold and shaking. I looked down at her, and she looked up at me with the most frightened eyes I had ever seen at the time. I gave her a tentative smile, and her eyes got bright. Her grip on my hand tightened, her shaking stopped, and she smiled wide.

I had tucked this memory into the back of my mind for some reason, but it just goes to show what kind of unconditional trust a child has. She was afriad, and a simple smile completely got rid of that fear.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.