I thought I'd chime in here. It's been an interesting thread.

At any rate, I honestly didn't think any of this was affecting me until very recently. The signs were so obvious, but I just thought that's what it meant to be normal. The fact is, I believe I started suffering from acute depression as early as age 13. I just lived with it because I didn't know any other way.

So here I am, 3 months into this whole healing process. I feel great most days, which is a sharp contrast to the way I was just a month ago when I felt like crap most days. I think it's actually been more than a week since I cried, which is a positive thing. But now, I have new issues. Like Larry mentioned, the PTSD is starting to come out, and it's getting really bad.

I'm also just starting to realize how bad the physical abuse was when I was very young, and I think that's part of the PTSD.

The other issue that needs work is a lack of ambition. I started taking anti-depressents about a month ago, and to be honest, I'm not used to being happy. The fact is, I just like to sit at home and enjoy it most of the time.

I still get triggered a lot, and it can definitely take some time to recover from them.

All in all, though, my aunt, another surivor, had the best words of wisdom for me when I started on this path just three months ago. Recovery isn't something that we will complete one day. It will be a constant journey for us for the rest of our lives.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.