because i love harry potter and because i love someone who comes here:

the dursleys treatment of harry during his childhood and adolescence is characterized by both types of child maltreatment: abuse and neglect.

emotional abuse is defined as a non-physical behavior by a parent or caregiver that causes the child psychological harm or anxiety..depression, anxiety disorder, undermined sense of self-worth.

emotional neglect involves withholding emotional nurturance, support, or bonding necessary for normal child development. This gives the child the message that he is unloved and defective.

examples of child maltreatment in the harry potter series:

NEGLECT..
-the dursleys ignore harry whenever possible
-harry is made to live in the cupboard under the stairs and is sometimes locked there for weeks
-harry is not taken care of as his food is withheld from him as punishment
-harry is imprisoned in his room around the clock..bars fitted on his window..his food is given to him through a flap in the door..he is let out only to use the bathroom in the morning and evening
-uncle vernon tries to banish harry from the house after a dementor attack, despite harry's life being in obvious imminent danger

EMOTIONAL ABUSE
-uncle vernon screams .." I WILL NOT TOLERATE MENTION OF YOUR ABNORMALITY UNDER THIS ROOF!"
-the dursley's scapegoat harry or blame him for things either out of his control or that he did not do
-the dursleys frequently and overtly treat harry worse than dudley to make dudley feel better
-.."the dursleys never spoke about harry and he was forbidden to ask questions"
-uncle vernon frequently threatens harry with physical abuse.."youll wish you'd never been born!"
-the dursleys tell aunt marge that harry attends St. Brutus's Secure Centre for Incurably Criminal Boys

PHYSICAL ABUSE
-uncle vernon dragged harry up the stairs roughly
-aunt petunia "aimed a heavy blow at harry's head with a frying pan"
-uncle vernon puts "two purple hands" through the window and closes them tightly around harry's throat
-harry avoids getting too close to uncle vernon as "long experience had taught him to remain out of arm's reach of his uncle whenever possible", implying a history of physically abusive behavior