A Teenager's Journey
A Memoir
Overcoming a Childhood of Abuse

Richard B. Pelzer
Published by Warner Books

I just completed this book. I bought it in a bookstore while I was away at my father's funeral. The book is written by the brother of the well known author of the biographical series of books "A Child Called IT", "The Lost Boy", etc., David Pelzer.

This book tells the story of Richard who, after his older brother David was rescued from "The worst case of child abuse in California State history", became the next victim of his mother's horrific brutality. It tells of his decent into drugs and sex addictions, of his attempts to end it all, and his search for meaning to life outside the terrible abuse.

It tells of his growth into adulthood, his desire for acceptance and his eventual turn to those whom he knew genuinely cared. He speaks of his healing journey and ultimately of the peace he made with his past and his future.

A definitely powerful read for those who have been physically and emotionally abused in the home and also has huge impact for those who are struggling with sexual abuse in their childhood.

Very powerful book, especially in the final chapters. Eloquently written.

Larry, Eddie, I reccommend it for the Book Room along with his other book, "A Brother's Journey".

John