That was exactly the fear that kept me from forgiving, as then I will have to do something about it, as it stood so strong within me, my abusers had moved on, and died probably leaving me stranded at that same spot, reliving it again and again.

It is my responsibility to pick my self up and start all over again.

For so many years, when I didn't forgive my abusers, I also feared if I did, that without I will loose all the anger and drown in my depression, and I did for a while. Though I revived myself and lived to tell the tale.

A good and gentle definition of forgiveness that I like the most is - "Giving up the hope that the past would be any different."

In other words it is - Accepting completely our past and be willing to say - Ok I accept that all this happened to me. But that was then, and this is now!

If need be, let's remove God, especially that useless One, from all this, then let's see without any 'divine/religious intervention', it is about our past that we have to accept and move by someday bringing ourselves to say that say - It's over...and then pick our up life once.

Why Don't People Heal, by Caroline Myss; 30 days to clean up your vibrations - Abraham-Hicks