Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
12to17 (58), Aaron7712 (48), Defiance Is Best (46), Interpreter (30), Kenn (55), RichardPaulPoill (68), soul (34), Tyler845 (27)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445577 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#467613 - 07/15/14 02:52 AM Re: Yes I'm back, with the therapist question [Re: dark empathy]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
D.E.,

In addition to a brilliant intellect and a talented baritone,......and you live in my favorite place in the world. I'm beginning to envy you! ;-)

I'm going to check out the book you mentioned. It does sound very interesting and useful.

#467614 - 07/15/14 04:18 AM Re: Yes I'm back, with the therapist question [Re: dark empathy]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Baritone? Actually I'm a tenor, though I'm working on my higher range.

The book is a good one on philosophy of mind, intended as an introduction to the subject but actually a lot more, and is therefore not too heavy, indeed one thing I will say about professor Lowe is he does write the most wonderful stuff despite his lectures being rather incomprehensible.

#467637 - 07/15/14 03:10 PM Re: Yes I'm back, with the therapist question [Re: dark empathy]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
"Tenor." Excuse me. You are higher on the clef, which makes you more valuable to a choral group. I wish you lived in my area; I'd keep you busy.

Great to know about the book. Have you posted it as a recommendation in the forum for books to recommend?
Malesurvivor Books & Films Forum

#467639 - 07/15/14 03:29 PM Re: Yes I'm back, with the therapist question [Re: dark empathy]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

~Ah, no problem, though to be honest while I have done choral stuff I'm more a soloist. Nasty as it sounds but if there are 10 other Tenors singing my bit, I always tend to think "Well what good am I doing?" I also really enjoy the individual characterizing in light opera as well as the music, though I am willing to help out with the odd chorus occasionally.

I am also a bit loud in most choirs as well laugh.

This isn't saying anything against choral stuff, I love to hear them, and I have met many very very accomplished singers who are dedicated to choral singing it just doesn't seem to suit me as much.

Regarding the book, well I haven't written a recommendation sinse the book isn't really anything to do with ms, or indeed human wellbeing at all. it is "An introduction to philosophy of mind" intended for people who either are very interested in the subject or are actually studdying it. It goes through various discussions and arguements on the nature of consciousness, the relationship of the mind and the brain, various philosophical problems such as those associated with Qualea and memory and so on.

There are lots of books on the same subject, I just happened to think Prof Lowe's book was particularly good because of the points he made and his very clear and distinct writing, ---- quite the opposite of hearing the man give lectures actually laugh.

#467666 - 07/16/14 02:51 AM Re: Yes I'm back, with the therapist question [Re: dark empathy]
tbkkfile Offline

Loc: Surrey, United Kingdom
Any space for a basso profundo who can hit bottom C in this virtual choir your building DE and WriterKeith.

#467678 - 07/16/14 12:35 PM Re: Yes I'm back, with the therapist question [Re: dark empathy]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wow BottomC? I'm very impressed, that's definitely profundo indeed.

A flat below C is about my lower limit, one reason why music of the night is so much fun.

#467694 - 07/17/14 12:28 AM Re: Yes I'm back, with the therapist question [Re: dark empathy]
tbkkfile Offline

I always envied tenors as there's not much written for my range, and generally it's never a lead role.

#467698 - 07/17/14 05:02 AM Re: Yes I'm back, with the therapist question [Re: dark empathy]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well I do see the problem, though it's a case of looking around.

One thing you might have a go at is some of the flanders and swan stuff. Sinse Flanders himself was a low baritone, and his take off of the Mozart Horn Concerto actually hits a bottom E flat (I had to get it transposed up by nearly a sixth).

I also know a lot of Bases who are excited about Shrek the musical sinse shrek himself is obviously a base, though I've only heard a couple of songs from that so far.

Then of course, there is Gilbert and Sullivan which has some pretty good base stuff, like Private Wilice song from Iolanthe which probably has my favourite statement about politics:

"When in that house mp's divide, if they've a brain and Cerebellum too, they have to leave that brain outside, and vote just as their leader's tell 'em to" laugh.

Though I do appreciate the problem. I will say being a tenor is about the only thing I really like about being male, sinse i'd have a far harder job if I was any brand of Soprano as there are so many of them.

#467700 - 07/17/14 08:39 AM Re: Yes I'm back, with the therapist question [Re: dark empathy]
tbkkfile Offline

I was lucky enough to study voice full time for a couple of years along with jazz, the guy that used to teach me in singing was a huge Gilbert and Sullivan fan (he was a singer in D'Oyly Carte at one point) but it wasn't for me, my favourite was Sarastro from Mozart's Die Zauberflöte much heavier.

I guess I moved the thread in a different direction, apologies I didn't mean to hijack it.

#467750 - 07/18/14 10:01 AM Re: Yes I'm back, with the therapist question [Re: dark empathy]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hay, no problem with discussing singing. Studdying voice full time is one thing I'd like to do, unfortunately it'd cost a ridiculous amount for me to go to a conservatory sinse I already have a degree and the government loves to punish people who tried to get more education!
I am looking at going to morley opera school in London when my phd is finished, which is a part time course and doesn't give a qualification but is recognized as being fantastic in teaching, sinse the tutors are all in covant guarden opera company. In a way I need the recognition as much as the teaching sinse people are so bent on the idea that a person with none functional eyeballs shouldn't be on stage, one reason I had to give up the Buxton Gilbert and Sullivan festival (which is another less good story).

If your really serious about singing Steeve I can highly recommend the Aims international music school: http://www.aims.uk.com/

This happens in eastborn once a year at the end of August, with auditions going on earlier in the year in march. You basically head off for a weak and are tutored in singing and performance for six days! The standard of the teaching is amazing, indeed it's run by the tenor Niel Jenkins. There are various classes from gilbert and sullivan to art song, oritorio and grand opera. Some, like art song you take along stuff to sing, others like Gilbert and sullivan and the opera scenes you audition for.

There's everything from choral to individual stuff, and a big part of the course is to give people chances to perform as well as learn a lot, so you can guarantee to be doing something.

I can very much recommend it, as I've found them an amazingly accepting bunch (which not all musicians are), and also to have some brutally high standard teaching (the weak is exhausting but well worth it).

Plus, they can always use more bases laugh.

I can't say I'm more a mozart fan, indeed even in grand opera I find myself more interested in Verdi and offenbach, the lighter more fun and tuneful stuff rather than the grand recit.

Then again at the moment I'm tackling Kai Faror from Orphius and uridice by Gluk, which is fantastic for just the shear emotional expression of losing someone you love. It also has a dam evil ending with an A flat from hell that I'm having to work at, but that's why i do this.

I've never actually sung jaz, though i've done gospel and barber'sshop before. Generally the Jaz I've heard I've found the modern, more experimental stuff to be more to my taste than the tradditional stuff based on the blues scale, but I suspect like Lieda this is something I'd be much more a fan of if I had a go at singing it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.