Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
1 registered (freeze-on), 42 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63775 Topics
445370 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#465164 - 05/09/14 09:43 PM Is this "normal" ? (Abuser has relationship with..
wanahelp Offline

Recently, my husband divulged that at an early age he was sexually abused by his father. His mother was aware. The elderly parents are living and he sees them 3+ times a week.

I have left him as his verbal and emotional abuse toward me became unbearable.

1. Is it normal for an abused man to interact with the abusers?
2. Can an abuser recover via professional therapy if he simultaneously continues a relationship with the abusers?

Please help guide me if you can.

#465207 - 05/11/14 01:01 AM Re: Is this "normal" ? (Abuser has relationship with.. [Re: wanahelp]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: one foot out the door
"Normal" is hard to say. Does it happen? Yes. Can it get in the way of healing? Yes. But it really has to be his decision. Hopefully therapy can help him figure out why he continues to see them and if it is healthy for him. Once he understands the why, he will have a better idea of if it is something that is wise to continue. It will have to be a decision he comes to on his own. Changes that are made under external pressure don't tend to stick. I'd voice the concern to him once, but then after that let him know that you support him and believe in his ability to come to his own decisions.

Hope that helps.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.