Newest Members
Francis Xavier, JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish
12438 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12438 Members
74 Forums
63852 Topics
445851 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#462859 - 03/19/14 12:11 PM triggers
Justtroy Offline

Loc: australia
just wondering how you all deal with triggers im getting them a lot lately and i sick of thinking of it all day

#462861 - 03/19/14 02:00 PM Re: triggers [Re: Justtroy]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
Justtroy,

I understand what you're asking. The triggers can take many forms, such as objects, smells, tastes, locations, situations and even body memories. They all take us back to the time when we experienced our CSA or ASA. They are hard to deal with and I'm similar to you, sick of dealing with it all the time.

My friends here at MS and my T have been very good at helping me developing coping strategies. One of the things I've been told, but have yet to fully embrace is that it wasn't my fault. Believing that it was my fault is actually a big trigger for me. I just have to repeat that it wasn't my fault. Another thing that has helped is for me to focus on physiological functions like breathing and heart rate. If I can remain calm, and control those two items, it will help me make it through the triggers.
One strategy for making it through is to tell myself that it's over, I'm safe and no one can hurt me again. Again my T and friends here at MS have helped me with this one. It doesn't take the pain away, but it helps that I know I've made it through in the past, and I'll make it through again.

If this is at all useful, I'm glad. Good luck to you.

Dave

#462866 - 03/19/14 05:43 PM Re: triggers [Re: Justtroy]
GT13568 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Hi Justroy,

I'm sorry you're feeling it today. Triggers are a problem for me too. Sometimes I can get through a few days without feeling shaken up by something, and other times it feels like every time I turn around.

I try to remove myself from the situation if I can. If I'm not able to leave, then I will look around at things that don't trigger me, and name them in my head. Like "there's a table. there's a door, there's the sound of traffic." I find doing this reminds me that I'm in the present, and that I'm not in danger.

I may still feel sadness, so I breathe. I never did yoga, but I imagine I'm breathing like that - slow and deep, letting my mind settle on the present.

Good luck my friend.

GT

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.