Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (44), Dupe1978 (36), James_Is_Talking (36), K-man (58), LordShiningStarr (36), ricky (51), Shawn Hope (29), teresa (42), Warner82 (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (crabbott, lapchinj, TJ jeff, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
64001 Topics
446705 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#460663 - 02/13/14 08:52 PM Christian School Faulted for Halting Abuse Study
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
From the New York Times:

Quote:
Christian School Faulted for Halting Abuse Study

GREENVILLE, S.C. — For decades, students at Bob Jones University who sought counseling for sexual abuse were told not to report it because turning in an abuser from a fundamentalist Christian community would damage Jesus Christ. Administrators called victims liars and sinners.

All of this happened until recently inside the confines of this insular university, according to former students and staff members who said they had high hopes that the Bob Jones brand of counseling would be exposed and reformed after the university hired a Christian consulting group in 2012 to investigate its handling of sexual assaults, many of which occurred long before the students arrived at the university.

Last week, Bob Jones dealt a blow to those hopes, acknowledging that with the investigation more than a year old and nearing completion, the university had fired the consulting group, Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment, or Grace, without warning or explanation. The dismissal has drawn intense criticism from some people with ties to Bob Jones, and prompted some victims and their allies — including many who were interviewed by Grace investigators — to tell their stories publicly for the first time, attracting more attention than ever to the university’s methods.

-efm

Edited by ModTeam (02/17/14 01:29 PM)
Edit Reason: removed opening line

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#460678 - 02/13/14 11:09 PM Re: Christian School Faulted for Halting Abuse Study [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
Stories like this just make me sad. And angry.

#460774 - 02/15/14 05:57 AM Re: Christian School Faulted for Halting Abuse Study [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
Stories like this just make me mad.

War
Love
Poetry

#460808 - 02/15/14 04:59 PM Re: Christian School Faulted for Halting Abuse Study [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
doesn't surprise me - considering that place. they are pretty extreme.

lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#460818 - 02/15/14 09:20 PM Re: Christian School Faulted for Halting Abuse Study [Re: traveler]
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: traveler
doesn't surprise me - considering that place. they are pretty extreme.

lee

They are, but the sort of parents who send their kids there are likely to be zero tolerance on this issue, and it was pretty much guaranteed that if this leaked out (which it obviously has) that involved parents would make high level firings happen.

IMO someone learned something a top level administrator thought was hidden for this to happen. I just don't see smoke with no fire as even a vague possibility here.

#460855 - 02/16/14 11:14 AM Re: Christian School Faulted for Halting Abuse Study [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
I think they are "attacking" organizations that have consistently reacted poorly and in self preservation to abuse and NEVER, in consideration of the survivor.

New story every day,week,year of an organization who chooses not to take care of children. That is the outrage. The numbers are staggering, as to how many were hurt by religous figures and how many of those figures were hidden for the benefit of the organization.

I think the "extra" outrage "religious organizations" get is fitting, since they use spirituality to hide perps and perpetuate abuse often times using the name of "god" to do so.

I'd like to see an example of a religious organization who came forward voluntarily abut abuse and then cared for the survivors needs....all without a lawsuit or lawyers. I'd lie to see evidence of an organization who opened/opens up their own files on abuse without being forced to and protesting. I think that's why the brush is so broad.

There is abuse in almost all the big organizations, but it's the most widespread and most covered up in the religous organizations of all faiths. The powers at the top, are all self serving to the organization, not the children whom have been hurt. Still today, hiding behind lawyers and not being open and honest about past and current transgressions.

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#460883 - 02/16/14 06:28 PM Re: Christian School Faulted for Halting Abuse Study [Re: MrEdd]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
If you read the article, it says that many were abused in their own churches before they went to the university. This isn't just about what happens at that particular university, it's about how when survivors move out of the environment they are being abused in (and prevented from seeking help in) they can have new hurdles to getting the help they need.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#460993 - 02/18/14 05:02 AM Re: Christian School Faulted for Halting Abuse Study [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
ModTeam Offline
MaleSurvivor

This thread has been edited and some off-topic comments needed to be removed.

Modteam
Private messages sent to this account are checked irregularly due to personnel and time constraints. Please send messages to one of the moderators for the forum that is concerned by user name, or if there is no named moderator, send a PM to any moderator.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.