Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63189 Topics
441846 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#460655 - 02/13/14 06:16 PM Latest research on PTSD / Survivors
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I thought this article was FASCINATING! It answers so many questions.

http://www.cshl.edu/Article-Li/scientists-discover-a-new-pathway-for-fear-deep-within-the-brain

I've always struggled with various therapists telling me it was my own thinking that was getting me feeling anxious all the time. That hasn't been my experience. yes, sometimes my thinking was making me nervous and anxious and depressed. Other times when I'm in a good mood, or not thinking in a crooked way that would bring anxiety or such; I would just suddenly be thrust into anxiety by an outside circumstance. Nothing I think about. It just happens.

As a matter of fact, I became acutely aware of a level of anxiety that permeated my body - it was with my body ALL THE TIME, and I was wholly unaware of it. It wasn't until I started low dose testosterone therapy that a level of anxiety started melting away, and I became more centered and present in the body. Uncovering other layers of anxiety and mental thought processes.

But at a physiological level, my body changed, and a lot of other things started to change as well.

I think the findings in the article are significant in that they tell a story of how brain/neuron development in early childhood can have life long impacts. These neurons have long pathways from the brain (amygdala/fear center) and direct stimulus receptors throughout the body. Bypassing the thinking brain altogether.

What is the moral of the story? I guess, its to say that becoming present to the body; the body's emotions, sensations, feelings. Seems to be tantamount to a healthy recovery; or a meaningful life.

We survivors are thrust into our heads, trying to comprehend and understand. We became obsessive thinkers, and lost our ability to live through our heart- connected to our bodies, and connected to others on that level. Presence. Emotionally comprehending people's behaviors and motivations, rather than trying to think about them to figure them out.

Hope all that made sense.

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#460713 - 02/14/14 09:12 AM Re: Latest research on PTSD / Survivors [Re: Magellan]
Landscape Offline

Thanks for posting this. It is amazing research.

I often wonder about neuroplasticity. Our brains carved these pathways in a desperate attempt to keep us sane and alive. I'm so glad it did, and I'm so glad it worked! I don't need many of these pathways anymore. No one knows how changeable they really are, or exactly how to change them, yet.

Can it be done? Can it be done with medication--without medication?

My T helped me to decide that I wouldn't take any meds at this point. I do still sometimes wonder if they would help me in the short-term to get over the bouts of depression and hopelessness, and/or in the long-term to help me be more steady.

Is it best to barrel straight through without any medication? "Recovery requires only one thing of a survivor: whatever is hardest for him." (from Victims no Longer).

--
Of all the things I hate about myself, I think I hate my amygdala the most.

#460714 - 02/14/14 09:52 AM Re: Latest research on PTSD / Survivors [Re: Landscape]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

neuroplasticity occurs throughout our lives. My doctors have expressed as we heal we retrain our brains to think differently--we shut off the pathways that have controlled our lives, how we felt about the abuse and abuser, how we felt about ourselves, how we were fragmented. We then build new pathways. I had my doubts as I began to heal that I could change how I think and believe, but I know I think and feel differently as I have healed. The scared forgotten child has changed, he is part of me and I love the whole of me.

Neuroplasticity was important to save us from the abuse and created pathways that served a purpose at the time of the abuse but sadly, many of the pathways stopped us from healing and being who we deserved to be. The pathways held us in a state of suspension at the time of the abuse. For me fugues, dissociation and a fragmented me, but today I believe I am becoming whole and learning to cope differently.

I am so glad the mind can retrain itself because if it could not, I would not be having the life I deserve and loving myself. I know in time, the mysteries of trauma and the brain will be further understood and those who deny what we have lived, how we reacted, how our mind became controlled by the events.

Thank you for posting the article.

#460718 - 02/14/14 11:02 AM Re: Latest research on PTSD / Survivors [Re: KMCINVA]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Thank you

This is very good. I need to look into this a lot more.

Puffer

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.